We often get questions from wildlife enthusiasts & hunters about improving and enhancing deer habitat on their properties. In most instances, these conversation efforts are directed toward the planting of expansive food plots. It’s natural that property owners want to know what the best food source is to attract both deer as well as other wildlife.
We at David’s Landscaping and Design have handled a large number of conservation planting projects for clients in Erie, Pittsburgh, Edinboro, and Girard. Over the last 20 years, our company has catered to clients in Fairview, Harborcreek, and Millcreek too. We have successfully designed and planted food plots for clients in the surrounding areas as well.
Objective of Conservation PlantingWhile food plots are an important aspect of conservation plantings, there are a number of other aspects that come into play. Some of the things we focus on while handling conservation plot projects for clients in and around Union City, Pavers Waterford, Warren, include:
- Improve the cover located on the property- Deer prefer feed & bed in areas that are well-protected. This generally means any type of thick cover such as old fields with early succession growth or warm season grasses.
- Growing and nurturing native trees-If you have trees on your property, we recommend that you don’t cut them down. Most trees like hickory, beech and oaks are beneficial to wildlife.
How We Create Conservation FieldsCreating a conservation field requires in-depth understanding of the local ecological environment and soil conditions. We have ample experience in this field and can make sure you have a thriving, healthy field on your property. Here’s how we create these spaces:
- Soil Condition – We check the soil condition to understand its pH levels, water content, nutrition levels, and other such factors. We will determine if the soil can support new growth before moving forward. If the soil can’t support new growth, our experts will rectify the problem to create a healthier environment.
- Getting the Plants – The next step is to get the plants and tress needed. Experts will observe the surrounding environment and do some research to determine which kind of plants and wildflowers grow well in such an environment. Once we have all the information needed, our team will get the seeds and plant them safely.
- Creating an Environment for Seeds to Grow – Once the seeds are planted, we create a good environment for the seeds to grow by keeping the soil appropriately damp and fertilized. While wildflowers are resilient, a little care doesn’t hurt.
The Best Conservation Planting ProductsOur experts will also explain how to take care of these fields. While conversation fields don’t require much maintenance, it’s a good idea to keep an eye on the plants to make sure they don’t have any disease or pest infestation. Conservation plots have the food they eat in sufficient quantities so a deer herd will become comfortable in the area. This makes game hunting easier, safer, and more comfortable without making it too easy.
We source of seed and work with Ernst Seeds. They grow, process, and sell different kinds of wildflower seeds that flourish in the natural environment. The conservation seeds are ideal for the wildflower areas as they are naturalized, designed to handle the natural weather and soil conditions of the area.
For customized food plot plans and installation services, feel free to contact David’s Landscaping and Design at 814-664-8803. You can also Contact the Owner via this form and send your project requirements.